Friday, September 23, 2011

Update my life

Hello all its been a while since a I posted here. There has been quite a few changes in my life since last January.

We'll start where I left off. I had interviewed for a company named Splore, in SLC. The interview went well and I was hopeful that I would be offered the job. It was a day back in February I was teaching a private ski lesson and we had braked for lunch. I got a phone call from my suprevisor Janine that Splore would like to offer me the job. I was so excited. The position is titled Northern Program Manager. My position is like the one I had in Vermont with Vermont Adaptive, only the program is bigger. I also have full time paid staff, and I still manage volunteers.

I started back in April 4th. Last 5 months have blown by. It was a real trail by fire. There is nothing like walking into a program you know little about, only 2 months before your busy season. I have done well. Our user days are up and all my staff are happy which leads to happy clients. So you all know how I like to feel bad ass. So what is more bad ass then being one of about three guiding companies in the Wasatch to have permits to use US forest service land.

I have also been falling back in love with a Miss Kristen Courtney. We had dated briefly back in 2009. Since then we have kept in touch and rekindled what was so meaningful to each of us. It has been a long and torturous road since we wrote letters in February. Lots of travel and periods of no communication.

Kristen had been living in Tucson, AZ then Durango, Co. Durango is about 7 hours from SLC, UT. Once things began to get more serious we decided to travel the long distances for visits. I hopped on a plane in February to visit the heated state on AZ. Total switch from the winter wonderland of UT. While I was there we visited the desert museum and the Bio Sphere. The place was cool and educational. If you are ever in AZ check it out. I was also able to see the southern most ski resort in America. There was still snow there, we didn't ski. The visit only solidified that fact we never stopped loving each other.

It wasn't long, March, before Kristen was up here and we got to ski together. We spent the day at Solitude. I probabaly snowed and we had a blast, as per ususal chasing each other around the mountain. Since March Kristen was back in Durango. This made things a little better. It was a seven hour drive and more managable on our wallets. This journey we have embarked on has been both hard and fruitful.

As time drew on Kristen was getting more and more burnt out with the company she had been working with. We were also wanting to be closer and not have to travel so far. After I got the job with Splore we decided Kristen would move in with me in SLC. She found a part-time job, a cute puppy and headed up to SLC in August. Its been a month and things are still good between us. We had always looked at having roots as a burden. As it turns out having roots is just a stable place to come home to after any adventure.

On to May. Scott and I have been talking about buying a house. We believed it was better to pout money into something that was ours and not somebody else's. I was away on my mountaineering trip, pictures on facebook, in Stanley ID. When I got back to my truck and checked my phone Scott had put a bid on a house. He did so because the house needed nothing done to it to live in. So we now own a house. We are always tinkering and have projects going on, now we have a huge project that will hopefully make us some money when we go to sell the house.

It is now September, the end of September. our house is more our home. We have painted, planted, remodeled, and made it our own. My partner, Kristen is moved in and I have a real and stable job that is challenging and fun. Now for the fun part of the story. About 24hours ago I had just gotten home from ACL reconstruction surgery.

I had partially torn my right ACL in Jan. 2010, while skiing. I missed most of that season. I ended up getting it scoped and the doctor thought it would be fine with some PT and a brace. Not sure why but it turned out it wasn't. In the year and a half til I saw a new doctor, I must have done more tearing and my new doctor said," If I was strong enough I could pull your knee apart." So yesterday I got a new ACL. The short time I have been post surgery has been fine.

I am motivated to give 115% to recovering and working out to be in better shape then when I got surgery. Wish me luck and feel free to ask how things are going. I could use all the accountability I can get.

Well now you have been updated to my life. Life is good and getting better. Hope you can say the same, if not make a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment