Friday, October 29, 2010

Winter has Arrived

So, it was Tuesday at about 6 o'clock. A co-worker was holding the door open for me at base. He asked me if I was skiing on Wednesday, I said heck yes. So we met in the Goldminer's Daughters parking lot at Alta ski resort at 8am on Wednesday October 27th 2010. There was 3 feet of snow and all of it the kind you can only find in the state of UT.
It was a stiff start to a new season. New boots, recovered ACL, and a cold to top it all off. We hiked up about 2,500 feet to the shoulder of Baldy ridge, above the Wildcat lift at Alta. We checked the snow pack and found that is was stable and ready to get shredded. I voiced my concern about my knee and asked not to go last in case it was to give out and I needed help down. So i got to go first.
I cursed my decision to get the stiffer boots once I couldn't make a left turn. As the day went on I was mislead. My climbing bail, a piece of metal used to aid in skinning up steeper hills, was still up and prevented me from making a turn. The next run was way better. Fearing my legs getting weaker I made more alpine turns. Then the last run. After a short break for well deserved views, we headed down the east side of the wild cat lift. This run I skied for Julia. We had done this one our first season out here. I killed it, tele turns and all. I did manage to pull off a great summer-sault where I landed back on my skies to ride away. The day was prefect. The ones where you say things like "I live here". So I can say I took my first turns of the season on October 27th, it feels like it will be one of those seasons, epic that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment